In May of 06 we were accepted at a school in Southern India, high in the Western Ghats(7000 ft) by the name of Kodaikanal.
John and I (Caye) are retired and on the other side of 60. We have been together about 5 years. In the course of the five years we spent a month in Mexico traveling by buses with nothing but the return ticket as a set destination. We also traveled through Canada and the Northern US on a road trip for over a month, taking time to spend a week on the Bruce Peninsul on Lake Huron doing a loaded tour on our bikes. Our last adventure was a trip through the Panama Canal with John's brother and sister and their spouses.
We live in a very small town in Oregon and love the small town atmosphere. I was a purchasing manager at a large mill close to our town and John was a Video producer at universities in Idaho and Washington state.
I was born 12 miles from where we now live. I have lived in the area my whole life. I have an undergrad degree from Linfield college and a MBA from George Fox university. John started out in Winnipeg Canada and finished his schooling at the University of Alberta and his graduate degree at UCLA.
I have two children, Patti and Shannon. Patti lives in Redmond Oregon and Shannon lives in the LA area of California. John has one son, Eric who lives near Seattle in Washington State. The two grandchildren from Patti are Jessica and Kat who live only 10 miles away.
We are both volunteer mediators and do small claims mediation as well as neighbor to neighbor and as coaches for children at the local school who do peer mediations.
We plan to leave for Kodia December 25th. Getting all the shots, visas (you have to have a roundtrip plane ticket to apply) made me wonder: "what if they say they don't want us in their country after we buy a ticket"? That didn't happen and within two weeks we had our stamped passport.
We are having a big open house for all our friends and family prior to leaving. Every one who is invited understands that they will be served some strange things. Like all of us, in the back of the cupboard we have that special sauce, the freezer has unknown items in little baggies, and some how we have an abundance of beans, and a 20 pound turkey. I am a vegetarian. But everyone we have talked to is willing to come and try to empty out our cupboards and freezer.
John and I (Caye) are retired and on the other side of 60. We have been together about 5 years. In the course of the five years we spent a month in Mexico traveling by buses with nothing but the return ticket as a set destination. We also traveled through Canada and the Northern US on a road trip for over a month, taking time to spend a week on the Bruce Peninsul on Lake Huron doing a loaded tour on our bikes. Our last adventure was a trip through the Panama Canal with John's brother and sister and their spouses.
We live in a very small town in Oregon and love the small town atmosphere. I was a purchasing manager at a large mill close to our town and John was a Video producer at universities in Idaho and Washington state.
I was born 12 miles from where we now live. I have lived in the area my whole life. I have an undergrad degree from Linfield college and a MBA from George Fox university. John started out in Winnipeg Canada and finished his schooling at the University of Alberta and his graduate degree at UCLA.
I have two children, Patti and Shannon. Patti lives in Redmond Oregon and Shannon lives in the LA area of California. John has one son, Eric who lives near Seattle in Washington State. The two grandchildren from Patti are Jessica and Kat who live only 10 miles away.
We are both volunteer mediators and do small claims mediation as well as neighbor to neighbor and as coaches for children at the local school who do peer mediations.
We plan to leave for Kodia December 25th. Getting all the shots, visas (you have to have a roundtrip plane ticket to apply) made me wonder: "what if they say they don't want us in their country after we buy a ticket"? That didn't happen and within two weeks we had our stamped passport.
We are having a big open house for all our friends and family prior to leaving. Every one who is invited understands that they will be served some strange things. Like all of us, in the back of the cupboard we have that special sauce, the freezer has unknown items in little baggies, and some how we have an abundance of beans, and a 20 pound turkey. I am a vegetarian. But everyone we have talked to is willing to come and try to empty out our cupboards and freezer.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home